The Bonnie Yagar Award for Community Engagement Leadership was launched in 2014 to honour Ms. Bonnie Yagar, founding and past President of Volunteer MBC’s Board of Directors. Over the years Ms. Yagar has been instrumental in providing leadership and guidance to Volunteer MBC, having joined the Centre’s original Steering Committee. Her dedication and expertise has been a tremendous asset to Volunteer MBC’s growth, and her commitment and dedication to her community through her many volunteer contributions, in particular via her Board of Director leadership roles, has been a shining example of how just one person can make such a profound difference in the capacity building of community service organizations. This award is to recognize her exemplary efforts.
The inaugural presentation of this award took place at Volunteer MBC’s 2014 Annual General Meeting and 4th Annual Volunteer Recognition Awards Event which was held in April 2014.
- Has demonstrated an exemplary commitment to the voluntary sector through sharing their expertise, skill set and knowledge in a leadership capacity;
- Supports and mentors others with challenges or issues that they may be experiencing
- Devotes an abundance of their time and resources, and is passionate about helping others
- Is able to drive and mobilize community service organizations via his/her exceptional board leadership approach
- Has been voted in as Chair or President with at least two community service organizations in Peel (past and/or present) and has made a significant contribution to the success within those two Boards
- 2017: Shelley White (Community Door Services Network)
- 2016: Kulvir Gill (Seva Food Bank)
- 2015: Winston Meyer (Community Door Services Network)
- 2014: Craig Ross (Community Living Mississauga)
- 2013: Kelly McDonald (Dixie Bloor Neighbourhood Centre)
- 2012: Marc Lachance (Spectra Community Support Services)